6.19.2013

Finnish Berry Pancake


This completely satisfied my Sunday-morning sweet tooth without sending me into the sugar-induced comatose state that syrup smothered pancakes do. An eggy pancake filled with berries and dusted with some powdered sugar. This was my first go at a delicious recipe I found on (you guested it) Pinterest. And success! It reminded me of my beloved popovers except in pancake form and instead of filling it with fresh fruit salad the berries go directly into the batter. And comparing the ingredients, it is pretty identical. Eggs, milk, flour and a touch of butter. What is not to love?

Admittedly, I was cheeky enough to tweak her recipe before I even tried it. I reduced the butter slightly, added some lemon zest to brighten the flavor and opted for a mix of frozen berries instead of raspberries. Nothing groundbreaking! But I have a good feeling this could turn into a great savoy recipe if I left out the sugar and added herbs and sprinkled parmesan on top. 


Finnish Berry Pancake


Ingredients:
________________________________________________________________________________

2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
2 T. melted butter (melted but not hot)
1-2 T. sugar
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest 1/2 a lemon
Topping: some fresh or frozen berries (1 cup)
Powdered sugar for serving  (optional)

Directions:
________________________________________________________________________________

1.  Preheat oven to 400F (200C). 

2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and zest (everything except berries) until smooth.

3.  Pour mixture into a baking pan that is greased and floured or lined with parchment paper on the bottom. I used a circular 10-inch pan (she used a 33x30cm pan). Sprinkle frozen or fresh berries and a spoonful or two of sugar on top.

4.  Bake for 20-30 minutes or until brown. The last 5 minutes I cranked up the heat to 425F (220C), but you may not need to if it is already looking nice and golden.

Note: I let the dish sit a while after I removed it from the oven, because it was still very doughy. This is the nature of the dish. I served it with powdered sugar. It would be great with whipped cream and chocolate shavings for a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment